Journalists are often very busy and have little (or no) time, so being concise and informative is a positive for them. This article aims to provide you with a clear guide on how to respond to a media query.
Before we go any further, it is important to remember that Singapore journalists and in fact any journalist, is a person like you and me. Don’t feel intimidated and do not feel that they owe you anything because you are a potential advertiser. Treat them with respect and they will treat you with respect as well.
Responding to a journalist query
Always remember that Singapore journalists are always on the lookout for interesting stories, so if you’ve got an interesting company or story to tell, they might reach out to you. Here’s how you can make sure you handle the situation well and build a good relationship with the journalist.
- Understand the query fully
- We often rush through emails, because we’re busy
- Make sure you read through and provide them with a proper and well-thought-out response
- Don’t oversell yourself or company
- The journalist already reached out to you, so they know you’re legit
- Mention what you do or your company if it’s relevant
- Provide them with the relevant background, but don’t push your agenda too aggressively
- Offer suggestions and opinions that you believe will enhance the story
- This is tricky, but try to provide value if you can
- This makes you a valuable source and a good commentator for the media to reach out to
- More information is better than not enough
- Don’t overload the journalist, but provide sufficient information for them to craft a story
- Too often people provide short snippets rather than a full story, which makes it difficult for the journalist to draft a proper story
There you have it, a short and simple guide on how to respond to a media query. If you’re looking at what makes a story newsworthy, read our earlier post here.
To find out more about SYNC PR and how we can help you craft your brand story, contact us at email@example.com.
For more articles like this visit our blog.